Chairs of Bisbee Part 7
For some reason, I decided early on that I would make two chairs. The WILD ZEBRA was clear in my mind from the very beginning. The other chair, however has been more of a struggle for me. I knew I wanted it to represent the beach and I have thought of it as the BEACH CHAIR or the MERMAID CHAIR.
Unfortunately, if I made the MERMAID CHAIR as I envisioned it, no one would ever be able to sit in it. I wanted it to be encrusted with shells. I wanted it to be very over the top with shells. But practicality won out, and I had to keep the number of shells to a minimum. I started by painting the legs a sand color, the seat a water color and the back the color of the inside of a shell. That part was relatively easy.
Then I started attaching the shells. I had glue issues. I have a lot of glue issues in my work. I ended up using 4 different types of glue. I had issues with all of them.
When I woke up this morning, the chair was sand,sea and shell colored, with some shells stuck on the top and sides. I knew right away I needed some BLING. So...I got out the glitter...voila...what a difference it made! So, it is 10:30 a.m. and the glitter and dimensional paint are still drying. I still have a few ideas, but it needs to be polyurethaned and dry by 6:00 p.m. so we will see....